0.8.535 for MacOS Catalina: carla error

Hi there! Very excited by this software. After trying unsuccessfully to build from source a few times over the past couple months, I decided to go for the binaries. Unfortunately, although the Mac OS trial binaries say they install successfully, when I run I get the error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/x264/lib/libx264.159.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/libavcodec.58.dylib
Reason: image not found

So I tried the next tier up, the paid, single build binaries, and got this error on run:

dyld: Library not loaded: @@HOMEBREW_PREFIX@@/opt/carla-git/lib/carla/libcarla_native-plugin.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/camcnelson/Downloads/zrythm-0.8.535-osx-installer/bin/zrythm/0.8.535/bin/zrythm

I see the carla-discovery-native executable in bin/, so this might be an easy fix and I’m just missing the steps. I tried reinstalling carla with brew, which didn’t help. Can anyone help me get this up and running? Thanks in advance!

Hi @camnelson ,

Thanks for reporting this.

It doesn’t look like you’re installing it properly. Did you run the installer script (./installer.sh)? That will install zrythm in /usr/local/bin/zrythm, then you can run it with simply zrythm

Hi Alex, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I cd to the folder containing installer.sh, and run ./installer.sh with the following output:

full output (base) camcnelson@Camerons-MacBook-Pro-4 zrythm-0.8.535-osx-installer % ./installer.sh Proceed with the installation of Zrythm v0.8.535? (type Y or y): yUnpacking... Unlinking /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1... 42 symlinks removed Unlinking /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535... 13118 symlinks removed Unlinking /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm-trial/0.8.535... 0 symlinks removed Linking... Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1 43 links created for /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1 Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535 Error: Could not symlink bin/carla-discovery-native Target /usr/local/bin/carla-discovery-native is a symlink belonging to carla-git. You can unlink it: brew unlink carla-git

To force the link and overwrite all conflicting files:
brew link --overwrite zrythm

To list all files that would be deleted:
brew link --overwrite --dry-run zrythm
Unlinking /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1… 43 symlinks removed
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1… 43 symlinks created
Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1
43 links created for /usr/local/Cellar/carla-git/0.1.1
Unlinking /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535… 0 symlinks removed
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535… 13121 symlinks created
Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535
13119 links created for /usr/local/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535
Installing deps…
Updating Homebrew…
==> Downloading https://homebrew.bintray.com/bottles-portable-ruby/portable-ruby-2.6.3_2.yosemite.bottle.tar.gz
######################################################################### 100.0%
==> Pouring portable-ruby-2.6.3_2.yosemite.bottle.tar.gz
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 2 taps (homebrew/core and mongodb/brew).
==> New Formulae
macos-trash
==> Updated Formulae
dav1d :heavy_check_mark: duckdb librdkafka scipy
alot git-extras libtcod tnftp
balena-cli gst-plugins-bad logstash wallpaper
check hcloud nest whistle
corsixth libpulsar phpunit
==> Renamed Formulae
mkl-dnn -> onednn

==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:
dav1d 0.7.0 -> 0.7.1
==> Upgrading dav1d 0.7.0 -> 0.7.1
==> Downloading https://homebrew.bintray.com/bottles/dav1d-0.7.1.catalina.bottle
==> Downloading from https://akamai.bintray.com/72/72583c13b3f1a20ebf5bb51a44d23
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Pouring dav1d-0.7.1.catalina.bottle.tar.gz
:beer: /usr/local/Cellar/dav1d/0.7.1: 15 files, 1.4MB
Removing: /usr/local/Cellar/dav1d/0.7.0… (15 files, 1.3MB)
Removing: /Users/camcnelson/Library/Caches/Homebrew/dav1d–0.7.0.catalina.bottle.tar.gz… (524.3KB)
==> Checking for dependents of upgraded formulae…
==> No dependents found!
Warning: fluid-synth 2.1.3 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 2.1.3, run brew reinstall fluid-synth
Warning: liblo 0.31 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 0.31, run brew reinstall liblo
Warning: libmagic 5.38 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 5.38, run brew reinstall libmagic
Warning: pyqt 5.15.0 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 5.15.0, run brew reinstall pyqt
Warning: python@3.8 3.8.3 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 3.8.3, run brew reinstall python@3.8
Warning: libyaml 0.2.5 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 0.2.5, run brew reinstall libyaml
Warning: gtk+3 3.24.18_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 3.24.18_1, run brew reinstall gtk+3
Warning: guile 3.0.2 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 3.0.2, run brew reinstall guile
Warning: ffmpeg 4.3_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 4.3_1, run brew reinstall ffmpeg
Warning: fftw 3.3.8_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 3.3.8_1, run brew reinstall fftw
Warning: libsamplerate 0.1.9_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 0.1.9_1, run brew reinstall libsamplerate
Warning: lilv 0.24.8 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 0.24.8, run brew reinstall lilv
Warning: librsvg 2.48.7 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 2.48.7, run brew reinstall librsvg
Warning: gtksourceview4 4.6.0 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 4.6.0, run brew reinstall gtksourceview4
Warning: graphviz 2.44.0 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 2.44.0, run brew reinstall graphviz
Warning: rubberband 1.8.2_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 1.8.2_1, run brew reinstall rubberband
Warning: sdl2 2.0.12_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 2.0.12_1, run brew reinstall sdl2
Warning: rt-audio 5.1.0 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 5.1.0, run brew reinstall rt-audio
Warning: rtmidi 4.0.0 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 4.0.0, run brew reinstall rtmidi
Warning: zstd 1.4.5 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 1.4.5, run brew reinstall zstd
Fixing paths…
processing executable /usr/local/bin/…/Cellar/zrythm/0.8.535/bin/zrythm
Recompiling schemas…
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.locale” has path “/system/locale/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy” has path “/system/proxy/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.http” has path “/system/proxy/http/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.https” has path “/system/proxy/https/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.ftp” has path “/system/proxy/ftp/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Warning: Schema “org.gnome.system.proxy.socks” has path “/system/proxy/socks/”. Paths starting with “/apps/”, “/desktop/” or “/system/” are deprecated.
Install successful! Type ‘zrythm --version’ to verify

As suggested in the error output:
Error: Could not symlink bin/carla-discovery-native
Target /usr/local/bin/carla-discovery-native
is a symlink belonging to carla-git. You can unlink it:
brew unlink carla-git

I brew unlink carla-git and try again, with the same error. Should I brew link --overwrite zrythm?

please ignore that error, it’s normal - I just need to clean up the install script a bit. does zrythm --version not work after that?

Okay, I get the following from –version :

(base) camcnelson@Camerons-MacBook-Pro-4 zrythm-0.8.535-osx-installer % zrythm --version
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/x264/lib/libx264.159.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/libavcodec.58.dylib
zsh: abort zrythm --version
(base) camcnelson@Camerons-MacBook-Pro-4 zrythm-0.8.535-osx-installer %

Maybe I should reinstall ffmpeg? or directly install libx264 somehow.

Okay thanks, I will investigate that. I just sent you a newer version, can you try with that?

Thanks, I tried the same for the copy you sent, and now the error points to libguile

(base) camcnelson@Camerons-MacBook-Pro-4 zrythm-0.8.535.r39.gfac65f18-osx-installer % zrythm --version
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/guile/lib/libguile-3.0.1.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/zrythm
zsh: abort zrythm --version

I tried reinstalling guile and then zrythm, but the error persists

Ok thanks, I see what the problem is now. I need to change the way zrythm is packaged, it looks like it’s locked to libraries of specific versions. I probably need to include them in the zrythm bottle.

it looks like guile was updated to 3.0.3 in homebrew, so for now you can do this:

install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/guile/lib/libguile-3.0.1.dylib /usr/local/opt/guile/lib/libguile-3.0.3.dylib "$(where zrythm | head -n 1)"

Might need to add sudo at the beginning.

Let me know if this works. I’ll fix this and send you a new version when it’s ready.

Hm, okay! I ran that command (with sudo, no errors). When I run zrythm --version now, I’m back to the error above:

@camnelson
after trying various things, i ended up making it install from source. it will take a bit longer to install but it should work now.

can you please try the version i just sent you and let me know if that works?

Alright, that seemed to work! Thank you!! Really appreciate it. Now let’s make some music :level_slider: :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

phew, nice!

macos is really horrible when it comes to packaging so I’m not sure what the best way to do it is. I used to provide an .app but that’s very hard to debug if there are problems and it’s also overall just a mess. I also tried making a package with pkgbuild but catalina has unreasonable restrictions, so homebrew looks like the way to go for now

hopefully someone interested in maintaining the mac builds will join and do things the “mac way” in the future

@camnelson I can give you complimentary access to nightly builds if you’re interested in testing the mac build regularly, just let me know :slight_smile: