No sound on ubuntu 19.10

Hello friends i am trying to set up this wonderful daw in ubuntu 19.10.All my other apps work fine with jack server including Renoise daw,bitwig out of the box.So i start jack first and then go to Zrythmsettings and configure it but although the timeline is running i have no sound and in Qjackctl connections there is no zrythm entry.Can you help me please

@panoskostagiannis welcome!

did you restart zrythm after selecting JACK? also, can you please post the output of zrythm -p?

1 Like

Εκανα οτι ειπες αλλα τωρα ουτε καν μπορω να φορτωσω plugins κρασαρει με jack και επισης γιατι δεν βλεπω στις ρυθμισεις επιλογη για alsa?

zrythm -p
Schema org.zrythm.Zrythm.general
install-dir=’’
recent-projects=[’/home/panos/zrythm/Projects/Untitled Project (4)/project.zpj’, ‘/home/panos/zrythm/Projects/Untitled Project (3)/project.zpj’, ‘/home/panos/zrythm/Projects/Untitled Project (2)/project.zpj’, ‘/home/panos/zrythm/Projects/Untitled Project (1)/project.zpj’, ‘/home/panos/zrythm/Projects/Untitled Project/project.zpj’]
first-run=false
dir=’/home/panos/zrythm’
last-project-dir=’/home/panos/zrythm/Projects’
Schema org.zrythm.Zrythm.preferences
rtaudio-audio-device-name=‘hw:HD-Audio Generic,0’
plugin-ui-refresh-rate=0
samplerate=‘44100’
vst-search-paths-windows=[‘C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2’, ‘C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins’, ‘C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins’, ‘C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2’, ‘C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2’]
sf2-search-paths=[]
plugin-uis-stay-on-top=true
sfz-search-paths=[]
undo-stack-length=128
sdl-audio-device-name=’’
language=‘el’
export-time-range=‘song’
bounce-with-effects=true
generic-plugin-uis=false
export-genre=‘Electronic’
edit-region-size=4
bounce-tail=0
export-bit-depth=‘24’
buffer-size=‘1024’
autosave-interval=1
pan-law=‘minus-three-db’
open-plugin-uis-on-instantiate=true
export-dither=false
pan-algo=‘sine’
export-format=‘FLAC’
audio-backend=‘jack’
fade-algorithm=‘superellipse’
midi-controllers=[]
midi-backend=‘jack’
automation-curve-algorithm=‘superellipse’
export-artist=‘Zrythm’
Schema org.zrythm.Zrythm.ui
right-panel-divider-position=180
plugin-browser-filter=‘none’
piano-roll-highlight=‘none’
plugin-browser-tab=‘category’
monitor-out-vol=1.0
browser-divider-position=220
musical-mode=true
left-panel-divider-position=220
metronome-enabled=false
listen-notes=true
editor-event-viewer-visible=false
bot-panel-divider-position=478
piano-roll-midi-modifier=‘velocity’
note-notation=‘notes’
timeline-event-viewer-visible=false
Schema org.zrythm.Zrythm

Do you see any warnings/errors in the log? it should be here: /home/panos/zrythm/log
If you could post the last 60 or so lines from the log and the backtrace you get it would be helpful in pinpointing the issue

You can use RtAudio with RtMidi, those use ALSA internally. If you can’t get Zrythm to run to change the settings try this:

gsettings set org.zrythm.Zrythm.preferences audio-backend 'rtaudio' 
gsettings set org.zrythm.Zrythm.preferences midi-backend 'rtmidi'

or reset to factory settings: zrythm --reset-to-factory

note that RtAudio/RtMidi are only available if you explicitly compile Zrythm with support for them (if you are building from source)

1 Like

Just found the solution it was in front of my eyes all this time!!I disabled real time in Qjackctl and now all is well.Now i can dive in this wonderful piece of software.Say Alex you should put some proper tutorials with sound explanation,its a shame all this hard work not to reach its audience.I ve made a post on linuxuser gr and the Renoise forum for zrythm but with no proper tutorials you wont turn any heads believe me.Thanks for your quick response.Τα λεμε :smiley:

1 Like

awesome!

I agree - I’ll try to get some tutorials done soon

1 Like

related update:

zrythm now has --audio-backend and --midi-backend options when running from the command line for overriding the backend choices. see zrythm --help for details