Quirky MIDI Configuration Issue

I am not sure if this is an issue with Zrythm or an issue with my setup. My MIDI setup is pretty basic. I have an M-Audio Midisport 2x2 connected to Jack via Alsa bridge. I have one keyboard connected to input 1 on the midisport. When I first tried Zrythm, I configured it to use Jack for audio and MIDI. Then I selected my midisport in the MIDI controllers in Zrythm preferences.

When I first went to record MIDI - I created a midi track in Zrythm, then I chose my Midisport Input for the track. Then I noticed that Jack was constantly spamming xruns at a regular interval. Every note I would hit resulted in xrun skipping and was completely unusable.

The jack flood of messages looked like this:

JackEngine::XRun: client = Zrythm was not finished, state = Running
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

These messages just repeat in this order constantly regardless of what Frames/Period I set in jack.

Eventually after a lot of trial and error - I was able to get the xruns to stop. I had to deselect the MidiSport under Midi controllers in Zrythm setup and then I had to make sure that my MIDI track input is set to only receive on channel 1. Then, everything works just fine.

I am unsure if this is a Zrythm bug or just some quirk with my Midisport interface. However, I have never had anything like this happen in either Ardour or LMMS.

thanks for reporting this. I’ve heard of people with similar issues before but we never found the culprit. On my system, I have my MIDI keyboard selected both in the preferences and in the track i want to record MIDI in with all channels enabled and I don’t get any XRUNs.

Maybe your MIDI keyboard is sending some weird messages on channels other than 1 or zrythm is not able to handle some system messages. it would be helpful to check in the zrythm logs (log under your Zrythm user directory) if there are any warnings/criticals.

I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, but I notice there are a ton of messages like this which appear to be happening at the time I was hitting notes to induce the Xruns:

** (zrythm:137026): WARNING **: 14:57:03.573: (midi_events_add_event_from_buf:743): buf size of 254 received (0 0 1), expected 3

can you please upload it somewhere else? maybe on redmine: https://redmine.zrythm.org/projects/zrythm/issues/new

or just copy the last 200 or so lines here directly (enclose them in ```)

My apologies! - I created the issue on Redmine here:

https://redmine.zrythm.org/issues/1957

1 Like

thanks, I’ll take a look at it soon. I think I know what it is

Glad to assist - If you need anymore information or testing for this issue, just let me know!

1 Like