Some questions about Chord Selector

Screenshot_2020-09-22_23-45-48

• How can I select a dominant chord?
  • What do “j7” in accent means?
  • Why the tab is named “Creator”? what do you mean by that? Could you give me more information so that i can translate into chinese.

thanks in advanced!

disclaimer: I’m not really good with music theory (this is actually the main reason why I want this feature, to help me pick chords without knowing much)

How can I select a dominant chord?

I believe the dominant chord is the 5th chord in a diatonic scale. So you would first create a scale object in the chord track (double click in the bottom half of it), then open the chord selector and click “In scale”, and it will limit the chords to what’s in scale. then pick the 5th available root note and make it either “min” or “maj”, whichever is available. That’s a dominant chord IIUC.

What do “j7” in accent means?

I don’t remember - I was just looking at wikipedia while making this. let’s wait for someone with actual music knowledge to respond to this.

Why the tab is named “Creator”? what do you mean by that? Could you give me more information so that i can translate into chinese.

It just means it lets you “create” a chord by mixing and matching those available settings. “Custom” tab will be just clicking on keys in a piano to for something completely custom, and circle of fiths will show nearby chords

I hope this helps

ok j7 is major 7th and 7 is minor 7th

it’s a major (j7) if it’s + 4 semitones from the 3rd note in a triad and minor (7) when it’s + 3 semitones f rom the 3rd note in a triad

Great! Now, I fully understand how to use chord selector. But maybe some notations need to be changed.

Screenshot_2020-09-23_11-14-31

• major triad [GMaj -> G]
  • major seventh [GMaj j7 -> Gmaj7]
  • dominant [GMaj 7 -> G7]
  • minor triad [Gmin -> Gm]
  • minor seventh [Gmin7 -> Gm7]

Another issue I found is that when I select “G”, “maj” and “9”, i will also get a minor 7th. In other words, i always get a minor 7th unless i do select j7.

1 Like

please report possible bugs/improvements like this on redmine: https://redmine.zrythm.org/projects/zrythm/issues/new. I will look at it another time

1 Like